Monday, February 18, 2013

Fiction Packet 3

The fisrt story that I would like to comment on is The Singing Fish. The language in the story almost seems like the narrator is speaking with a southern accent. He makes refernce to the character by saying "us brothers" rather than saying me and my brothers. He uses this language throught the story. I feel he uses this language to help the reader form animage of the plot. Also, the story describes the brothers playing in mud and talking about fish which seems like activities of children that were raised in the south or in the country. The author also makes reference to the word "Girl" many times throughout the story. I noticed that the word often appeared with a capital letter as if the author was refering to a specific individual when using that word. Although I never did figure out the significance of the word "girl". The last four or five sentences were very confusing. I noticed a lot of metaphors but could never make sense of the message that the author was trying to convey.

The second story that I would like to comment on is "The Fith Story". I feel that the whole purpose of this story is to show the reader how many different ways a story can be told. I feel that the author was trying to show the reader how many different stories could be told using a single set of information. I feel that maybe the author is trying to illustrate the thought process that goes into writing a story. I feel he is trying to show the reader how the mind is functioning when a writer is trying to writing a story. I feel that the author is trying to show how hard it is for a writer to make up their mind about how to write a story. This includes language, detail and imagery.

1 comment: